Preparing to buy a home? You’ve likely heard that you first need to save 20 percent of a home’s purchase price in cash. That money is your down payment, or, the cash you put toward buying the home. The remaining 80 percent of the home’s price comes from the mortgage you take out with a
Hurricane Harvey, which pummeled Texas in late August, and Hurricane Irma, which blew through the Caribbean and Florida two weeks later, both took a heavy toll. Harvey caused more than 80 deaths and nearly $100 billion in losses. Irma claimed more than 60 victims and caused more than $50 billion in losses. But in some
Jason and Carrie Kelroy of Wauwatosa, Wis., loved their 2,200-square-foot, 1930s-era colonial, and they loved their neighborhood, where they could walk to schools, their church, and a coffee shop, or drive to a Milwaukee Brewers game or to Summerfest on the lakefront in 20 minutes. But with three kids and two big dogs, space felt
When you’ve decided to move out of the house you own, you likely want to unload the home as quickly as possible. Whether you’re eager to get to a job in another state, have found a new dream home, or are simply tired of the mortgage payments, you don’t want to spend months struggling to
There are some things that add value to a home that property owners can’t control. Though homeowners can’t always determine what’s going on in the neighborhood, there are dozens of easy and affordable fixes that can add value to a home. This Old House has literally 100 easy DIY fixes to spruce up your house.
Most people who own homes will agree that there’s always room for some sort of improvement. The problem, however, is that sprucing up a home costs money — something most of us don’t have in an unlimited supply. The good news is, you don’t need to spend a fortune to refresh your home and boost